Friday, March 20, 2009

Prescribe Me Laughter. Prescribe Me Expression!

Strange...

Earlier this morning I was feeling great... then as the day slowly wore on, I noticed time just seemed to slow to a crawl and I felt myself getting... downer... by the minute.

Unmotivated, unexcited, un... everything. I tried getting up and moving around, but that didn't help. I tried focusing on one project, then another... but that didn't help.

Then I went and read a joke:

A famous psychiatrist told his wife: "I feel down today, I am going to see my colleague."

Wife: " But you are the best psychiatrist, aren't you?"

Psychiatrist: " Yes! I know! But my colleague charges less than I do!"

I smiled and laughed, time seemed to speed up, and suddenly things around me looked more interesting. I proceeded to peruse the internet for more material, suddenly intrigued that this helped. A few jokes made me smile, others made me laugh:

A blonde, wanting to earn some extra money, decided to hire herself out as a "handy-woman" and started canvassing a nearby well-to-do neighborhood.

She went to the front door of the first house, and asked the owner if he had any odd jobs for her to do. "Well, I guess I could use somebody to paint my porch," he said. How much will you charge me?" The blonde quickly responded, "How about $50?"

The man agreed and told her that the paint and everything she would need was in the garage.

The man's wife, hearing the conversation, said to her husband, "Does she realize that our porch goes all the way around the house?" He responded, "That's a bit cynical, isn't it? The wife replied, "You're right. I guess I'm starting to believe all those dumb blonde jokes we've been getting by e-mail lately."

A short time later, the blonde came to the door to collect her money. "You're finished already?" the husband asked. "Yes," the blonde replied, "and I had paint left over, so I gave it two coats." Impressed, the man reached into his pocket for the $50.00 and handed it to her.

"And by the way," the blonde added, "it's not a Porsche, it's a Lexus."

I got up, went and got a mountain dew... and noticed that caffeine didn't exactly seem to help... it made me jittery, yet my mind still felt like it was in some sort of numb state.

I decided I would blog about it, and as I began writing, describing, and thinking... I began feeling good again. I looked at the clock and noticed time was speeding up.

I've come to conclusion that letting it out, something, anything... just expressing your feelings seems to be the way to get over many of these "easier" low points.

Laughter worked because I was suddenly no longer trying to control myself. I wasn't keeping IT in. Blogging is working because i'm processing the emotion, coming up with ways to describe it and analyzing it. Burning my feelings like a fuel.

Expressing it. Fedex Expressing it.

Now, every time I glance at the clock, I see the minutes tick by in what feels like seconds. Thoughts churn through my head on what I want to work on next, and the caffeine is boosting the current desire to get something worthwhile done.

I've submitted about 20 computer problem reports for our techs to work on, prepared a few test machines for an adobe patch we need to test, and now i'm going to tackle an expensive scanner that just doesn't do what it should be doing.

Laughter is the best medicine.
A blog a day keeps the depression away.

Just go express it. Burn it. Use it.

P.S.
My shirts are getting tighter. O.o

No comments: